A New Year, A New Perspective on Caregiving
Today is Groundhog Day in the United States and Canada. Along with the famous groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, I’m coming out of hibernation, too!
While I haven’t written here for over a month, my mind’s been whirring with ideas and I’ve been busy planning new, additional features for Tender Loving Eldercare (TLeC).
Why? It all began because . . .
I Became a Caregiver Again
Back in November, my son, age 22, had wrist surgery and I was his full time caregiver for one week post-surgery. From this experience, I was reminded of some prior, and gained new, perspectives about caregiving:
- Care recipients are people of all ages, with many different physical, cognitive and/or emotional problems. While my hands-on caregiving experience until November had been with my elderly parents, there are many caregivers lovingly helping people of all ages, with varying levels of health, and in different living arrangements.
- Not all caregiving is long-term. Some caregivers only serve for short periods of time, and their daily work can vary from mild to very intense care.
- We are also “caregivers” to our pets as they age.
- Caregivers are champions of practicing thoughtfulness.
How Did My New Caregiving Experience Impact Tender Loving Eldercare?
After an 18-hour day caring for my son, I’d go back to my hotel room and collapse, both physically and mentally. I needed to unwind in a big way. I needed to re-charge my batteries quickly, get some sleep and be refreshed before my alarm went off before dawn the next morning.
I needed a quick fix of inspiration or motivation, either before bed or when I first awoke in the morning. I realize ALL types of caregivers need that OOMPH to help get them through a long, challenging day! So, while I will continue to write informative, how-to posts about caregiving, I’m expanding my role to become a Caregiver Cheerleader for our TLeC community! No matter what type of caregiving you’re doing, I hope a dose of positivity wil help you on your journey.
How I Will Accomplish This New Goal?
- There will be more posts about inspiration and motivation. I will also bring back the popular Friday Funnies, as laughter is always better than tears.
- We will present more positive thinking strategies for caregivers to use. (And even if you’re not a caregiver currently, won’t you enjoy some positive thinking tips?)
- I will highlight more “Golden Oldies” stories, because my passion for the older generation has not waned. As a society we need to recognize and celebrate their accomplishments and wisdom. This will also include the portrayal of elders in the media and the arts, both pro and con.
- Because we are all bombarded with mobile technology and social media, I will also focus more on how technology can aid caregivers, care recipients and their families.
If You Are Already On TLeC’s Email Subscriber List
I will be emailing you about special reports and guides I am writing to help you on your caregiving journey, with early-bird notification before they become available for purchase elsewhere.
If you’re not already on the TLeC email subscriber list, you may want to join now by filling out the brief form found in the top right hand corner of this page, under the words “Caregiving Guide — It’s Free.” When you sign up, you instantly receive the free report about five important caregiving lessons I learned, as a thank you gift for joining our community. You may unsubscribe from this list at any time, and I totally respect and guard your email privacy.
Last But Not Least
If you know any other caregivers who might use even a little bit of inspiration or motivation, please share Tender Loving Eldercare with them. If you have any other topics you’d like me to cover, please feel free to write them in the Comments section below.
Thank you and I hope you are as excited as I am about the new additions to come!
Now . . . I wonder if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or not?
Photo Credit: tachyondecay’s photostream